What should I do if a baby or a child accidentally swallowed small batteries?

Swallowing button- or coin-type batteries causes a chemical burn and the perforation of mucous membranes in a short time, and in the worst case, it may cause death.

This is because the current flowed from the swallowed battery contacting the digestive tract generates alkaline fluids outside batteries (on a negative side) through electrolysis, damaging walls of the digestive tract in a short time.

Therefore, accidental ingestion of batteries is urgent and different from simple accidental ingestion of foreign materials.

If a baby or a child swallowed button- or coin-type batteries, or they may have swallowed the batteries, recognize that it is urgent and immediately consult your physician.